Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A little more about my book: Bengali Girls Don't


Did you like The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri? Or Bricklane by Monica Ali? Or A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam? Well, Bengali Girls Don't is like Bricklane on Steroids, or like the namesake times 100. It's raw, powerful, and everything in it is true. It's like a fly-on-the-wall look inside a traditional Bengali Muslim home. It's my story, my life. How I was tricked into leaving the UK shortly after my 15th birthday for Bangladesh and forced to marry a man old enough to be my father. It's sure to cause controversy, especially since my culture frowns on women writing about their personal lives and their culture and their religion. We all know how Ayaan Hirsi Ali has been treated. But please check it out and let me know what you think. All responses/emails/messages are welcome. :)

His family swarmed me like mosquitoes. I missed my friends. I couldn't stop crying. I missed my Mum and wanted to go home.

Me in my darkest days


3 comments:

  1. This is really powerful Luky. Congratulations on your book, I am definitely looking forward to reading it and learning more about your life changing journey.

    Hope you have a great week!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested to read your book! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My story, Bengali Girls Don't, is now for sale on Amazon!! You can read it on your PC, smart phone or Kindle. If you read it on your smart phone or PC, you'll just need to download the free kindle for PC app or kindle for smartphone app, which you can do from the same page you purchase the book from. The print version will be in about 2 weeks, I hope. :) http://amzn.com/B005D1HQ4O

    ReplyDelete